Saturday, March 26, 2011

10 Minutes of Silence...

In todays world, how often do we give ourselves true moments of silence for an extended period of time? With phone calls and texting, busy schedules of classes and work, iPods, and the distractions found all around us, it isn't suprising to find that most people only quiet down when going to sleep at night or when preparing to take a nap. What would our lives be like if we made sure to schedule at least 10 minutes of quiet time to think, pray, ponder, and so on?
This morning, I went to the temple by myself to do baptisms for the dead. After sleeping for only 3 hours, I was ready to just get in, and get out so that I could shower and go back to bed for a couple hours before starting my busy schedule. As I was sitting in the temple though, I had to question myself as to why I was there. The more I thought about my reasons to be at the temple, the more I came to realize how much it didn't matter how long I ended up being in the temple. I followed this thought process to the point that I became grateful that things were running slowly and that I wasn't doing the whole "get in and get out" process that I tend to do on a day to day basis wherever I am due to busy schedules and such. Because of the slow moving lines for confirmations and baptisms, I was given the opportunity to truly ponder and let my thoughts take me to places that strengthened my testimony. I was given the time to consider those things that I should "KISS" in my life: Keep, Increase, Stop, and Start.
So the next time you have the chance and you remember to, put aside whatever may be distracting you or causing "noise", find a quiet place, sit..... and just think. Think, and listen for the promptings of the Spirit.
(I do not take credit for this photo. I found it when using "Stumble Upon" and forgot to save the website)

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. Life is moving so fast, we'll loose ourselves if we don't take a minute to remember who we are, what our goals are, and who our God is.

    ReplyDelete